help with modules_install, booting -LFS5.2

blux.net at lineone.net blux.net at lineone.net
Thu Apr 15 04:45:12 PDT 2004

many thanks for your uggestion.

 I have linked /bin/depmod to /sbin/depmod rebuilt the kernel and make modules_install
now report no errors.  The system still does not boot.

Below are my 'departures' from the prescribed LFS:

1) I compiled kernel 2.4.25 in /usr/src.  I made the taditional linux symlink
to linux-2.4.25 (after decompressing the archive).
2) I used an ext3  partition.  However I adjusted /etc/fstab and I ran tune2fs
-j  /dev/hda5 as instructed  from http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/blfs/view/stable/postlfs/ext3.html

Any suggestion if any of the above could be causing the problem, are welcomed.

I also noticed that the LFS bootscripts seems not to be executable  I installed
them as instructed
http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/lfs/view/cvs/chapter07/bootscripts.html

but after kernel installtion, bootdisk making boot-loader installation
typing commands such as reboot, halt or 'sh reboot', 'sh halt' are ignored
(even from within the /etc/rc.d/init.d dircetory).  Could  anyone explain
if these scripts are to be made executible?

Also the grub bootfloppy just generate a series of zeros.

All suggestions welcomed.

blux

The
>> attached file ( 'make-modules-install-LFS-kernel-error')  show the reported
>> errors.  I assumed that as directories for the modules existed  in
>> /lib/modules, the machine would at least boot  if even to a kernel panic.
>>
>> I then configured bootloaders:-
>>
>> (a) I disregarded the LFS instruction and used (1) LILO  then (2) GRUB
>from
>> SuSE9.   On each oocassion, on selection of the kernel image to boot,
>> the machine simply reboots.
>>
>> (b) I followed to the letter the LFS instruction and configured GRUB.

>The
>> 'grub-lst-file' file is attached.  The SuSE9 entry boots OK but as before
>> the entries for the LFS kernel images simply reboot the machine.
>>
>> Curuiously if a SuSE-CDROM boot is attempted, on selection of
>> 'boot-installed-system', an entry for the LFS partition is revealed.
 If