helo with modules_install, booting -LFS5.2

blux.net at lineone.net blux.net at lineone.net
Wed Apr 14 10:10:33 PDT 2004

Greetings,

 I need some help with booting a new installation of LFS5.2.  The build
machine  is a K63-cpu with SuSE9 (kernel 2.4.21).  I compiled 2 LFS kernel
images:-

(a) using  the config file of the host (config-2.4.21-99-default) and
(b) using the 'default' config menu of LFS.

Both made 'bZimages' and modules without errors.  Both however reported
a error during module installation.  Specifically regarding pcmcia.  The
attached file ( 'make-modules-install-LFS-kernel-error')  show the reported
errors.  I assumed that as directories for the modules existed  in /lib/modules,
 the machine would at least boot  if even to a kernel panic.

I then configured bootloaders:-

(a) I disregarded the LFS instruction and used (1) LILO  then (2) GRUB from
SuSE9.   On each oocassion, on selection of the kernel image to boot,
the machine simply reboots.

(b) I followed to the letter the LFS instruction and configured GRUB.  The
'grub-lst-file' file is attached.  The SuSE9 entry boots OK but as before
the entries for the LFS kernel images simply reboot the machine.

Curuiously if a SuSE-CDROM boot is attempted, on selection of 'boot-installed-system',
an entry for the LFS partition is revealed.  If this is selected  a bash-2.05b
prompt is immediately arrived at.  Commands such as 'ls'  and 'vi' are obeyed
but not 'shutdown' nor 'reboot'.

I have checked my installation procedure, but so far unaware of any major
blunders.  Any advice on the kernel module installation errors reported
above would be appreciated. Help  with the booting problems would also
be appreciated.

Yours sincerely
Blux.