LFS 5.0 first boot successful

Bob Morgan wb5aoh at wb5aoh.dyndns.org
Mon Apr 12 13:56:12 PDT 2004

After a delay finding time to finish it, I finally
got past the step of configuring GRUB and getting the
new system (lfs 5.0) to boot up and run.  That's the
first experience I have ever had with grub, all previous
work here was with lilo.

The first time it booted, it declared failure on all of
the network (ethernet startup) scripts, and stuck a
nasty looking red message in the middle of the screen
to the effect that I was seeing a script error that shouldn't happen,
and if I could determine the cause, to report it to lfs-development.
Anyhow, I was able to fix it by creating /etc/modules.conf,
after looking at the working copy on another system, and
created this file (under control of tomsrtbt) with the
single entry:
 alias eth0 3c59x
and after the next boot, it came up and ran fine, and
the networking operated.  Looking back at my notes
in the workbook, it sort of mentions in passing that
if you were building kernel modules, you might want to
take a look at the massive documentation on the subject, and
since it mentioned etc/molules.conf, and I saw it wasn't
created, I started looking there.

I see on the lfs site just now that they announced
an update to the lfs scripts.  My guess is that this
is now probably noticed, but I haven't unpacked it yet
to see.  I am probably at the stage that it is time to
add and tweak scripts anyhow.

I had replicated this new system from the chroot jail on
the machine hosting the toolchain onto a CD, and
had loaded that onto the disk of a similar but empty
machine, at the step just prior to configuring grub.
I booted it from the grub bootloader floppy, and stumbled
my way through the procedure, first getting grub intalled
onto the MBR, so it would run grub from the disk instead
of the floppy, then built the grub menu file and eventually
made it boot properly.

I have been using the available tools netcat and tar to
replicate whole systems over a network.  Both of these
tools exist on tomsrtbt, along of course with net, fdisk and
mkfs, so it is possible to take an empty system and load
it from some other, or from some image, and if necessary
to patch it for things like /etc/fstab, start scripts,
grub menu, and the like.  Netcat is known also as nc
on some versions including tomsrtbt.  (Now, if Tom would
replace lilo with grub, that would really be a one stop
rescue disk, I had to swap back and forth for a short while.
Or maybe a lfsrtbt rescue disk?)

I registered as LFS user # 12748 just now.  Thanks along
the way to Ken Moffat for the help when I got stuck
on a hard to find typo in building Perl.  The immediate use
for lfs here is for a few replications of a firewall I need,
with as up to date kernel and iptables as I can find, and
as little excess baggage as possible.  Now on to BLFS,
latest 2.4 kernel, iptables, ssh/ssl/pam and the like.

Aside from the educational process, which itself is the
best I have ever seen with linux (you sure don't get this from
a commercial distro), the start scripts are anything but
overwhelming, and you can actually see what it takes to
make the system come up.  I get completely lost in the
massive configure scripts and gui's of the commercial
stuff, and hardly know where to start chasing a problem.

Bob Morgan, now lfs 12748