input/output errors not correlated with a package

Reinhard bookreader at gmx.com
Sun Apr 11 10:34:09 PDT 2004

Hello,

I have some strange errors, which I can't correlate with a single program or
package.

I was experimenting with Makefiles and shellscripts and get this error (not
related to a package):
make: stat [some file] input/output errors

Sometimes it seemed that after that error, the shell becomes unusable, so I
started a new one, but the error occurred randomly (to me).

Now I realized, that some errors where shown at console like this:
RPC: can't bind to reserved port (13)

I looked at services and there port 13 is related to time. So I thought - may
be an error with ntp?
But from the rpc-prefix I guessed, that the error could be related to nfs.

I found out, that the files/directories where world-readable/world-accessible,
but neither the userid, nor the groupid where known at the host, that mounted
the nfs-share.
Now I changed the userid/groupid and the error did not appear again.

- Was my guess right and the "input/output"-error comes from nfs?
- What is that confusion about port 13?

Any hint or background is very appreciated.

Kind regards

Reinhard