problems with glibc-2.3.3-20031202

Ken Moffat ken at kenmoffat.uklinux.net
Fri Apr 9 11:58:30 PDT 2004

On Fri, 9 Apr 2004 blux.net at lineone.net wrote:

> Dear Ken,
>
> Thanks for your reply. I read the info on the link you provide, but unfortunately
> it did not provide any help.
>
> I and trying to install glibc-2.3.3 from within the chroot'd environment.
>  I  unpacked the source, made a glibc-build directory as instructed and
> ran the configure script as instructed. I  attach the stdout and stderr
> of the configure  and make commands.
>
> I hope you or someone else on the list are able to offer some help.

 Thought the problem was in a subshell in a Makefile, neither of which
are my strong points, but since nobody else has responded I figured the
exercise of explainig how to debug the errors would do my brain some
good.  But now I look closely it's not subshells in Makefiles at all.

 Let's start with the lines leading up to the error message (reformatted
for the mail).

/bin/sh: line 1: BEGIN { subdirs = ""; inhibit = "" };  /^#/ { next };
/^[^-]/ { subdirs = subdirs " " $0 };  /^-/ { inhibit = inhibit " "
substr($0, 2) };  END { printf "sysdep-subdirs =%s\n", subdirs;  printf
"sysdep-inhibit-subdirs =%s\n", inhibit;  print "sysd-dirs-done = t" }:
No such file or directory make[1]: ***
[/tools/build/glibc-build/sysd-dirs] Error 127 make: *** [all] Error 2

 We know you managed to run configure, so there is a reasonable chance
that /bin/sh is executing /tools/bin/bash (i.e. not the old "linked
wrongly" problem).  Now, much of the command might as well be gibberish
as far as I'm concerned but the "BEGIN" suggests it's an awk script.  In
the configure output we can see

(interesting, you might have problems with some of the desktop
applications on this version of glibc, or you might later be able to
point out what I'm doing wrong :)

checking for bash... /bin/sh
checking for gawk... no
checking for mawk... no
checking for nawk... no
checking for awk... no

 So, either you missed building gawk in chapter 5, or it's there but
doesn't work (the old not-linked-correctly problem).  If you missed it,
the fix is easy enough.

 If you built it wrongly (try 'ldd' on it from outside chroot to see
what it links against) then you'll need to understand why it was wrong
before you can work out how to fix it.  (If you work straight through
the book without leaving the session, once the toolchain is correctly
adjusted everything should just work.)  You might also need to check
other dynamic executables in /tools/bin, although I can see that at
least bash, sed, and perl are linked correctly.

 Technically, there is a bug in the glibc configure script (it fails to
exit when no version of awk is found), but trying to post a bug report
against glibc in this situation is a recipe for severe pain.  The
least-offensive response would be "don't try to build it from a
defective host".

Ken