My first contact - problem compiling binutils

Flavio Alberto Lopes Soares flavio at maqplas.com.br
Wed Apr 7 11:38:09 PDT 2004

Hello all,

I need to make a minimal Linux + X system for an application that I
developping and I decide study from Linux From Scratch to learn how to
do this;

This is my first contact with LFS and I have dificulty to compile the
package - gcc;
I have an old disk (working) with 540MB and I made one partition in this
disk and is this the instalation target (/tools is a symlink to a
partition in this disk), I compiling in my main system (Debian SID HD
40GB), and the source packages are in /home/lfs/sources_LFS/ (gcc-build
and gcc-3.3.1 from lfs-packages/gcc-core-3.3.1.tar.bz2 are inside this
directory) under ownership of lfs.users (user.group), when I follow the
Linux-From-Scratch 5 I have the error bellow:

lfs at flavio:~/sources_LFS/gcc-build$ ../gcc-3.3.1/configure
--prefix=/tools     --with-local-prefix=/tools     --disable-nls
--enable-shared     --enable-languages=c
Configuring for a i686-pc-linux-gnuoldld host.
Created "Makefile" in /home/lfs/sources_LFS/gcc-build using "mt-frag"
/tools/bin/ld: installation problem, cannot exec `/tools/bin/ld':
Permission denied
collect2: ld returned 255 exit status
*** The command 'gcc -o conftest -g -O2   conftest.c' failed.
*** You must set the environment variable CC to a working compiler.
lfs at flavio:~/sources_LFS/gcc-build$

What I do wrong ?

I do it logged as lfs user, but binutils are compiled as root and I
believe that compile OK but I don't know if this is the correct way and
maybe this is the cause for these errors.

Thanks for any help
and excuse-me for my bad english (I'm from Brazil)

--
Flavio Alberto Lopes Soares
flavio at maqplas.com.br
MAQPLAS Indústria e Comércio de Máquinas LTDA
http://www.maqplas.com.br