bug in autoconf

Ruben Lopez rl4 at rkcc.net
Sat Apr 3 20:05:47 PST 2004

Ken Moffat <ken at kenmoffat.uklinux.net> wrote:

> On Sat, 3 Apr 2004, Ruben Lopez wrote:
>
> > Here is my latest error in my attempt to get past LFS 51pre1 chp.5. I
> > can compile glibc-2.3.3-20031202, but when I try to make the package I
> > cannot get past this error:
> >
> > autoconf  sysdeps/i386/elf/configure.in > sysdeps/i386/elf/configure.new
> > autoconf: Undefined macros ***BUG in Autoconf--please report** AC_FD_MSG
> > make[1] *** [sysdeps/i386/elf/configure] Error 1 make[1]: Leaving
> > directory '/lfs/sources/glibc-2.3.3-20021202' make: [all] Error 2
> >
> > I'm not even sure where to start looking for this one - I searched
> > LFS.org archives but couldn't find anything helpful... coulld someone
> > help me with this?
> >

>  You'd help everyone if you were clear about the problem : is it in
> chapter 5 or chapter 6 ?

As I indicated in my opening sentence...

"Here is my latest error in my attempt to get past LFS 51pre1 chp.5."

That means I am in Chp. 5.

>  You say "I can compile glibc-..., but when I try
> to make the package..." - compiling and making are pretty much the same
> thing.

Sorry, I misunderstood what the LFS book means. The preparation for
compiling ("../glibc-2.3.3-20031202/configure") is successful, but the
actual compile ("make") fails with the error I indicated.

> If there is any output from autoconf above what you've quoted, it might
> be useful.

There is more output displayed on the screen, but I cannot locate the log
file that contains the data (meaning. I don't know where that file is
located).

>  Alternatively, if you are still in chapter 5 then I think you need to
> fully install autoconf on your host distro.  As far as I can see, you
> never said which distro you're using.

Again, sorry. Debian woody 3.0r1

--
Ruben