LFS-5.0 Kernel panic

Ken Moffat ken at kenmoffat.uklinux.net
Sat Apr 3 15:55:21 PST 2004

On Sat, 3 Apr 2004, JazerNorth wrote:

> JazerNorth wrote:
> > I am betting an error when I boot my linux machine.  The error is:
> > Unable to handle kernel NULL pointer deference at virtual address
> > 00000004 print eip:
> > Other stuff
> > <0> Kernel panic: Attempted to kill the idle task!
> > In idle task - not syncing
> >

> > Any ideas?
> >
> > JN
> Sorry, I am not betting, but actually getting that error.

 Could be many things.  If it happened to me on a new LFS I'd go back to
the host system and keep building the kernel until I had a known good
.config.  (Actually, I'd recommend that to everyone before they try to
build LFS).

  If you try this, I suggest changing the EXTRAVERSION in the
top-level Makefile each time (e.g. -1, -2, ...) so that any modules are
not used with the wrong kernel.  (Not necessary if you don't have any
modules).  Also, each time before you rebuild the kernel, cp the .config
out of the tree (e.g. to ~/config-2.4.25-whatever), run `make mrproper',
then cp the config back to .config and run `make oldconfig' before you
change the options in menuconfig or wherever.

 Assuming you've followed the book and built the kernel with gcc-2.95.3,
it sounds as if the kernel's less-than-wonderful config system has
allowed you to select an incomplete set of options.  The second
possibility is that you've built the kernel for a processor you don't
have (e.g.  picking up Linus or Marcelo's default config), although
usually it doesn't get past "uncompressing the kernel" when that
happens.  After that, we start to suspect you've built LFS on a "higher"
processor than you're trying to run it on, or applied some out-of-tree
patches.

Ken