bug in autoconf

Ken Moffat ken at kenmoffat.uklinux.net
Sat Apr 3 13:56:40 PST 2004

On Sat, 3 Apr 2004, Ruben Lopez wrote:

> Here is my latest error in my attempt to get past LFS 51pre1 chp.5. I can
> compile glibc-2.3.3-20031202, but when I try to make the package I cannot
> get past this error:
>
> autoconf  sysdeps/i386/elf/configure.in > sysdeps/i386/elf/configure.new
> autoconf: Undefined macros
> ***BUG in Autoconf--please report** AC_FD_MSG
> make[1] *** [sysdeps/i386/elf/configure] Error 1
> make[1]: Leaving directory '/lfs/sources/glibc-2.3.3-20021202'
> make: [all] Error 2
>
> I'm not even sure where to start looking for this one - I searched LFS.org
> archives but couldn't find anything helpful... coulld someone help me with
> this?

 You'd help everyone if you were clear about the problem : is it in
chapter 5 or chapter 6 ?  You say "I can compile glibc-..., but when I
try to make the package..." - compiling and making are pretty much the
same thing.  Do you mean you completed it successfully in chapter 5, but
now can't build it in chapter 6 ?

 If there is any output from autoconf above what you've quoted, it might
be useful.

 Alternatively, if you are still in chapter 5 then I think you need to
fully install autoconf on your host distro.  As far as I can see, you
never said which distro you're using.

Ken