Stalled on binutils

Jeremy Utley jeremy at linuxfromscratch.org
Thu Apr 1 01:21:03 PST 2004

First off, why are you trying to use the HJL Binutils fork?  As we say on
IRC - follow book, book good! - meaning use the version specified in the LFS
book, in the case of 5.1pre1, it's GNU/FSF Binutils 2.14 from
http://ftp.gnu.org/gnu/binutils

> (config.log)
>
> configure:635: checking for makeinfo
> configure:681: checking for perl
> configure:721: checking host system type
> configure:744: checking build system type
> configure:770: checking for ar
> configure:802: checking for ranlib
> configure:871: checking for gcc
> configure:950: checking whether we are using GNU C
> configure:975: checking whether gcc accepts -g
> configure:1007: checking whether gcc and cc understand -c and
> -o together
> configure:1022: gcc -c conftest.c -o conftest.o 1>&5
> configure:1023: gcc -c conftest.c -o conftest.o 1>&5
> configure:1028: cc -c conftest.c 1>&5
> configure:1030: cc -c conftest.c -o conftest.o 1>&5
> configure:1031: cc -c conftest.c -o conftest.o 1>&5
> configure:1067: checking for POSIXized ISC
> configure:1088: checking for working const
> configure:1163: checking for inline
> configure:1220: checking for a BSD compatible install
> configure:1281: checking how to run the C preprocessor
> configure:1364: checking for sys/file.h
> configure:1374: /lib/cpp  conftest.c >/dev/null 2>conftest.out
> configure:1370: sys/file.h: No such file or directory
> configure: failed program was:
> #line 1369 "configure"
> #include "confdefs.h"
> #include <sys/file.h>
>
> Since I am seeing this with every version ofr binutils I
> assume that I have missed a setting, although I followed and
> double-checked the environmental settings. My host is Debian
> woody r1. Can someone point me in the right direction to
> correct this error?

Looks like you are missing some development headers on Debian (I'm assuming
this is Chapter 5 pass 1 of binutils) - but not sure which package would
have file.h.

Also, if you insist on using the HJL binutils fork, you'll need to add in
the m4, bison, and flex packages for chapter 5, prefixed to /tools - HJL
Binutils will require them come chapter 6, and you won't have access to your
host then.

HTH,

-J-