Booting error lilo-22.5.8, linux-2.4.23, LFS-5.0

Leho eesnimi.perenimi.002 at mail.ee
Sun Nov 30 22:55:26 PST 2003

Andrew Calkin wrote:
> On Mon, Dec 01, 2003 at 08:07:30AM +0200, Leho wrote:
>
>>Ken Moffat wrote:

>>> I don't quite understand what you're asking, but since you're another
>>>user of the one true x86 bootloader (TM) I'll attempt to answer.
>>>
>>> Lilo stores a list of which blocks in the filesystem contain each
>>>kernel it knows about.  The normal problem is that somebody recompiles a
>>>kernel (keeping the name of the boot file the same) and doesn't rerun
>>>lilo - the odds are that the filesystem will use different blocks to
>>>store the new file.  Maybe your kernel is just called /boot/vmlinuz-lfs
>>>and you've overwritten the old one ?  It's always a good idea to give
>>>kernels a name including the version, and any extraversion you've added
>>>(e.g. -1, -2, ... as you try different options - adding the extraversion
>>>also puts modules into separate directories, which can be useful.
>>>
>>> If you're asking why version 5.0 of the lfs book doesn't mention this,
>>>it's because it went to grub.  One of the advantages of grub is that it
>>>can read the filesystem when it boots, so it can access the file by
>>>name.
>>>
>>>HTH,
>>>
>>>Ken
>>
>>To make things more clear:
>>
>>I build a first kernel in lfs. I copy the bzImage to /boot and
>>System.map also.
>>
>>When I build a new kernel and wanna keep my old one also and make new
>>item in the lilo prompt menu. I can copy the bzImage to another name
>>like lfskernel but the Sysem.map remains with the same name. I overwrite
>>  the old one. Is is ok?
>>
>>The problem was that, I built an new kernel for lfs and installed it but
>>did not  run lilo -v before reboot and then it did not booted into lfs
>>with new kernel and said the error in the first message. The I read from
>>the "linux2.6.0 README" that quote in the next message. Then I took an
>>action and reruned "lilo -v" in the host system and wholaa LFS boots up.
>
> After making a new kernel, if you want to keep your old kernel then
> don't copy over the original (i.e. either rename the old one or have a
> different name for the new one), and update the lilo.conf file
> appropriately so that the menu tags point to the correct file.
Yes I overwrited the kernel but do not in the future.
I think
> the System.map file can be used for either kernel (I have not had any
> problems when overwriting old System.map files at least), however
> whenever I change anything in either /boot directory or lilo.conf, I
> _always_ run lilo to update the boot loader.
Those who know to rerun lilo after new kernel build and install thinks
that goes without saying. But I did not known that. LFS-4.1 should
mentioned it.
I think the -v switch
> just increases verbosity.
I known.
In fact, I run lilo -v followed by lilo -q
> (query), just to make sure that everything seems ok, before rebooting.
> If any error is given, I sort it out and then check again until no
> error message is given.
Thanx for advice. Keep that in mind.

> //Andrew
Something about lfs-cvs:

I think that there is no need to build and install grub in the middle of
the book. What about if there is to way in the chapter 8. "Making the
LFS system bootable". Whe lilo way and the grub way. Install those
programs there and so on.

By the way. I see the idea of the book more teaching than just doing. IMHO.