Booting error lilo-22.5.8, linux-2.4.23, LFS-5.0

Leho eesnimi.perenimi.002 at mail.ee
Sun Nov 30 22:07:30 PST 2003

Ken Moffat wrote:
> On Sun, 30 Nov 2003, Leho wrote:
>

>>Leho wrote:

>>>BIOS data check successful
>>>Uncompressing Linux...
>>>
>>>Invalid compressed format (err=2)
>>>
>>>--System halted
>>>
>>>______
>>>
>>>Weird. I used Lilo, nasm-0.98.38, modutils-2.4.26, bin86-0.16.14
>>>
>>>compiled nasm as blfs-cvs and bin86 as LFS4.1
>>
>>I had working lfs with linux-2.4.22 and a needed updates in kernel
>>because of networking in blfs and I thought that it is good idea to
>>achieve two goals with one motion. New kernel and networking support.
>>
>>Ok I figured that out. I did not run "lilo -v" after new kernel build.
>>Is it necessary? Why does that LFS-4.1 contain a note about it if it is?
>>Or am I blind. I think it is necessary. I read it form
>>"linux-2.6.0-test11 README"
>>
>>quote:
>>To use the new kernel, save a copy of the old image and copy the new
>>image over the old one.  Then, you MUST RERUN LILO to update the loading
>>map!! If you don't, you won't be able to boot the new kernel image.
>>

>  I don't quite understand what you're asking, but since you're another
> user of the one true x86 bootloader (TM) I'll attempt to answer.
>
>  Lilo stores a list of which blocks in the filesystem contain each
> kernel it knows about.  The normal problem is that somebody recompiles a
> kernel (keeping the name of the boot file the same) and doesn't rerun
> lilo - the odds are that the filesystem will use different blocks to
> store the new file.  Maybe your kernel is just called /boot/vmlinuz-lfs
> and you've overwritten the old one ?  It's always a good idea to give
> kernels a name including the version, and any extraversion you've added
> (e.g. -1, -2, ... as you try different options - adding the extraversion
> also puts modules into separate directories, which can be useful.
>
>  If you're asking why version 5.0 of the lfs book doesn't mention this,
> it's because it went to grub.  One of the advantages of grub is that it
> can read the filesystem when it boots, so it can access the file by
> name.
>
> HTH,
>
> Ken

To make things more clear:

I build a first kernel in lfs. I copy the bzImage to /boot and
System.map also.

When I build a new kernel and wanna keep my old one also and make new
item in the lilo prompt menu. I can copy the bzImage to another name
like lfskernel but the Sysem.map remains with the same name. I overwrite
  the old one. Is is ok?

The problem was that, I built an new kernel for lfs and installed it but
did not  run lilo -v before reboot and then it did not booted into lfs
with new kernel and said the error in the first message. The I read from
the "linux2.6.0 README" that quote in the next message. Then I took an
action and reruned "lilo -v" in the host system and wholaa LFS boots up.

Excuse me cause my bad english. I'm Estonian.