Booting error lilo-22.5.8, linux-2.4.23, LFS-5.0

Ken Moffat ken at kenmoffat.uklinux.net
Sun Nov 30 15:07:39 PST 2003

On Sun, 30 Nov 2003, Leho wrote:

> Leho wrote:
> > BIOS data check successful
> > Uncompressing Linux...
> >
> > Invalid compressed format (err=2)
> >
> > --System halted
> >
> > ______
> >
> > Weird. I used Lilo, nasm-0.98.38, modutils-2.4.26, bin86-0.16.14
> >
> > compiled nasm as blfs-cvs and bin86 as LFS4.1
>
> I had working lfs with linux-2.4.22 and a needed updates in kernel
> because of networking in blfs and I thought that it is good idea to
> achieve two goals with one motion. New kernel and networking support.
>
> Ok I figured that out. I did not run "lilo -v" after new kernel build.
> Is it necessary? Why does that LFS-4.1 contain a note about it if it is?
> Or am I blind. I think it is necessary. I read it form
> "linux-2.6.0-test11 README"
>
> quote:
> To use the new kernel, save a copy of the old image and copy the new
> image over the old one.  Then, you MUST RERUN LILO to update the loading
> map!! If you don't, you won't be able to boot the new kernel image.

 I don't quite understand what you're asking, but since you're another
user of the one true x86 bootloader (TM) I'll attempt to answer.

 Lilo stores a list of which blocks in the filesystem contain each
kernel it knows about.  The normal problem is that somebody recompiles a
kernel (keeping the name of the boot file the same) and doesn't rerun
lilo - the odds are that the filesystem will use different blocks to
store the new file.  Maybe your kernel is just called /boot/vmlinuz-lfs
and you've overwritten the old one ?  It's always a good idea to give
kernels a name including the version, and any extraversion you've added
(e.g. -1, -2, ... as you try different options - adding the extraversion
also puts modules into separate directories, which can be useful.

 If you're asking why version 5.0 of the lfs book doesn't mention this,
it's because it went to grub.  One of the advantages of grub is that it
can read the filesystem when it boots, so it can access the file by
name.

HTH,

Ken
--
I'm as free as a bird now, and this bird you cannot chain.