Booting error lilo-22.5.8, linux-2.4.23, LFS-5.0

Leho eesnimi.perenimi.002 at mail.ee
Sun Nov 30 13:23:07 PST 2003

Leho wrote:
> BIOS data check successful
> Uncompressing Linux...
>
> Invalid compressed format (err=2)
>
> --System halted
>
> ______
>
> Weird. I used Lilo, nasm-0.98.38, modutils-2.4.26, bin86-0.16.14
>
> compiled nasm as blfs-cvs and bin86 as LFS4.1

I had working lfs with linux-2.4.22 and a needed updates in kernel
because of networking in blfs and I thought that it is good idea to
achieve two goals with one motion. New kernel and networking support.

Ok I figured that out. I did not run "lilo -v" after new kernel build.
Is it necessary? Why does that LFS-4.1 contain a note about it if it is?
Or am I blind. I think it is necessary. I read it form
"linux-2.6.0-test11 README"

quote:
To use the new kernel, save a copy of the old image and copy the new
image over the old one.  Then, you MUST RERUN LILO to update the loading
map!! If you don't, you won't be able to boot the new kernel image.