problems with util-linux-2.12 in LFS 5.0 chapter 5 on sparc server

Greg Schafer gschafer at zip.com.au
Sat Nov 29 17:12:21 PST 2003

On Sat, Nov 29, 2003 at 01:53:51PM -0500, Dennis Clarke wrote:

> The latest update on this odd problem is at :
>
>     http://www.blastwave.org/dclarke/linux/util-linux-2.12_fail.html

Ok, I cannot see what the problem is :-(

On the face of it, it seems to me as if the util-linux configure script is
busted for your platform. If everything else in Ch 5 up to this point
compiled ok, then I think it's a safe assumption. Blaming GCC when
everything else compiled ok is not right.

If you indeed forgot to apply the specs patch then that is easy to check
for. Just peruse the specs file in:

/tools/lib/gcc-lib/sparc-unknown-linux-gnu/3.3.1/specs

and make sure the dynamic linker is pointing at the one in /tools. Also, it
won't hurt to double check by performing a quick sanity check:

echo 'main(){}' > dummy.c
gcc dummy.c
readelf -l a.out | grep interpreter

Good luck.