changing boot sequence

S. Anthony Sequeira tony at sequeira.com
Sat Nov 29 16:44:13 PST 2003

On Sat, 29 Nov 2003 15:42:02 -0800, andri penned:

>> My numbering system is based on trial and error, and as I said, it works
>> for me.
>>
> Yes I know but don't you find it just a little wierd that the two
> processes seem to run together even though the pcmcia links number is 1
> and the networks is 99? Also I didn't notice any network script in your
> rc, how do you set up your net?

DHCP, in /etc/pcmcia/network.opts.  I reckon that a laptop should use DHCP
for it's networking, people may disagree, that's my opinion.  I went DHCP
from the start.  Of course, if you used this, your problems world probably
be solved.  There is no LFS guide for installing laptops, so it's going to
be a hard slog.

>> There is s way to do this.  I tried to make all my network
>> (ssh,samba,nfs etc) scripts dependent on pcmcia startup, but it came to
>> grief.  Maybe I was aiming too high.  I'm at the moment deciding whether
>> to use ifplugd or laptop-net. But enough of my problems.

Debian packages being down has pushed me towards ifplugd.

>> The following is an excerpt from /etc/pcmcia/network.opts
>>
>>     # Extra stuff to do after setting up the interface start_fn () {
>>     return; }
>>     # Extra stuff to do before shutting down the interface stop_fn () {
>>     return; }
>>
>> Try putting /etc/rc.d/init.d/network start (or whatever) in start_fn and
>> the stop equivalent in stop_fn.  See if that works for you.
> Thnx I'll try this.

I suggest you look at the other options in this file, and forget about
using LFS standard bootscripts, at least for networking.  I have shut the
machine down, but I think there is a option for a static IP address in it
somewhere, and I would use this if it'a available.  This would make things
easier.

> Best regards
>  Andri Mar Jónsson

Luck