changing boot sequence

S. Anthony Sequeira tony at sequeira.com
Sat Nov 29 13:17:04 PST 2003

On Sat, 29 Nov 2003 11:07:55 -0800, andri penned:

>> The docs state that the kernel modules should be preferred, unless you
>> are using the 32bit cardbus PCMCIA card.  However it's your system.
>
> Yes i'm using 32bit cardbus cards:) That's why I took this method of
> disabling the pcmcia support in the kernel. And about those symlinks of
> yours, this seems to have no effect on the time when cardmgr gets executed
> when I boot, the only diffrence is that when I put a lower number on the
> pcmcia symlink the pcmcia symlink start to run first as it should but when
> it's half way through its sequence the network symlink starts, generates
> the error and then the pcmcia symlink finishes and it doesn't matter what
> numbers I put, tried 01 for my pcmcia and 99 for my network symlink.

My numbering system is based on trial and error, and as I said, it works
for me.

> Can't my network be put up by the pcmcia package, for instance if I
> delete all my network symlinks but keep my network script couldn't I
> tell my pcmcia conf to execute the network script after it had
> successfully setup all the needed modules? If so how would I do it
> exactly?

There is s way to do this.  I tried to make all my network
(ssh,samba,nfs etc) scripts dependent on pcmcia startup, but it came to
grief.  Maybe I was aiming too high.  I'm at the moment deciding whether
to use ifplugd or laptop-net. But enough of my problems.

The following is an excerpt from /etc/pcmcia/network.opts

    # Extra stuff to do after setting up the interface
    start_fn () { return; }
    # Extra stuff to do before shutting down the interface
    stop_fn () { return; }

Try putting /etc/rc.d/init.d/network start (or whatever) in start_fn
and the stop equivalent in stop_fn.  See if that works for you.

Regards.
--
Tony