Verification of Build Procedure

Greg Schafer gschafer at zip.com.au
Fri Nov 28 19:26:48 PST 2003

On Fri, Nov 28, 2003 at 11:53:01PM +0200, Christos Gioran wrote:
> I was wondering whether there is a way to verify that a LFS system was built
> correctly.

Umm, the best way it to just *use* the thing and see what breaks :-)

> pass, there rises the need to detect overoptimization. Are the testsuites
> designed for this purpose?

overoptimization ?? Test suites check functionality - optimization does not
come into it at all. If code is optimized and still functions correctly then
it will pass its test suite - simple as that.

> So to conclude: Is there a way to thoroughly verify the stability of a build,
> or should I (and all who might want want, of course!) come up with one?

Your statement of requirement is too general. Of course there are various
3rd party test suites and benchmarks around the place, but they mainly check
a small well defined part of the system. How do you define "thorough
stability of a build" ??

You could always do what the distros do, make a distro, ship it to thousands
of unsuspecting beta testers, see what breaks :-)