Verification of Build Procedure

Christos Gioran himicos at freemail.gr
Fri Nov 28 13:53:01 PST 2003

Hi list

I was wondering whether there is a way to verify that a LFS system was built
correctly.
Obviously, since the test suites pass, you are quite certain that the build
completed correctly. But since I use my build scripts with several
optimization flags and combinations of them, even if in all cases the tests
pass, there rises the need to detect overoptimization. Are the testsuites
designed for this purpose?
Guess what I have in mind is some kind of benchmark for performance under
"extreme" conditions. OK, the gcc, binutils and glibc testsuites are very
thourough, but the rest of the programs do not get an equal (or even a
minimum) amount of testing.
So to conclude: Is there a way to thoroughly verify the stability of a build,
or should I (and all who might want want, of course!) come up with one?

Thanks

himicos

PS: First time poster here, hope I did things right.