changing boot sequence

S. Anthony Sequeira tony at sequeira.com
Fri Nov 28 11:18:53 PST 2003

On Fri, 28 Nov 2003 07:03:12 -0800, andri penned:

> Hi,
[...]
> Now I didn't install pcmcia support in my kernel cause I wanted to use the
> pcmcia-cs package and it works fine accept for the fact that in the boot

The docs state that the kernel modules should be preferred, unless you are
using the 32bit cardbus PCMCIA card.  However it's your system.

> sequence linux trys to setup the
network before any modules are setup
> which is handled by cardmgr. After the modules are then setup I login an
> execute /etc/rc.d/init.d/network start it works fine because my modules
> are up now. So my question is how can I make cardmgr run before the
> network start in my boot sequence?

here are the contents of my rc directories.  Usual disclaimers apply.  It
works for me, YMMV.

tony at aurora 19:13:48:/etc/rc.d
$ ls -R
.:
init.d  rc0.d  rc1.d  rc2.d  rc3.d  rc4.d  rc5.d  rc6.d  rcsysinit.d

./init.d:
RCS      chronyd   firewall.status  halt      mountproc  random       sshd
alsa     cleanfs   firewall.stop    hotplug   nfs        rc           swap
atd      cups      functions        loadkeys  pcmcia     reboot       sysklogd
checkfs  fcron     gdm              localnet  portmap    samba        template
chronyc  firewall  gpm              mountfs   postfix    sendsignals  xinetd

./init.d/RCS:
alsa,v     fcron,v            halt,v       nfs,v      rtc,v          template,v
atd,v      firewall,v         hotplug,v    pcmcia,v   samba,v        xinetd,v
checkfs,v  firewall.status,v  ifplugd,v    portmap,v  sendsignals,v
chronyc,v  firewall.stop,v    loadkeys,v   postfix,v  setclock,v
chronyd,v  functions,v        localnet,v   random,v   sshd,v
cleanfs,v  gdm,v              mountfs,v    rc,v       swap,v
cups,v     gpm,v              mountproc,v  reboot,v   sysklogd,v

./rc0.d:
K00cups   K20chronyc  K40sysklogd  K48samba    K50pcmcia       K70swap
K05gdm    K25postfix  K45chronyd   K49atd      K50sendsignals  K90localnet
K08fcron  K30sshd     K45random    K49portmap  K55hotplug      K99halt
K10gpm    K35alsa     K48nfs       K49xinetd   K60mountfs

./rc1.d:
K05gdm  K20chronyc  K30sshd  K45chronyd  K48samba  K49portmap  K50pcmcia
K10gpm  K25postfix  K35alsa  K48nfs      K49atd    K49xinetd   K80sysklogd

./rc2.d:
K05gdm      K25postfix  K48nfs      K49xinetd    S25random  S40fcron
K10gpm      K30sshd     K48samba    K50pcmcia    S40alsa    S99cups
K20chronyc  K45chronyd  K49portmap  S10sysklogd  S40atd

./rc3.d:
K05gdm       S20chronyd  S24nfs     S35postfix  S40fcron    S98samba
S05pcmcia    S22portmap  S25random  S40alsa     S70gpm      S99cups
S10sysklogd  S23xinetd   S30sshd    S40atd      S90chronyc

./rc4.d:
K05gdm       S20chronyd  S24nfs     S35postfix  S40fcron    S98samba
S05pcmcia    S22portmap  S25random  S40alsa     S70gpm
S10sysklogd  S23xinetd   S30sshd    S40atd      S90chronyc

./rc5.d:
S05pcmcia    S22portmap  S25random   S40alsa   S70gpm      S98samba
S10sysklogd  S23xinetd   S30sshd     S40atd    S90chronyc  S99cups
S20chronyd   S24nfs      S35postfix  S40fcron  S95gdm

./rc6.d:
K05gdm      K25postfix   K45chronyd  K49atd      K50sendsignals  K90localnet
K08fcron    K30sshd      K45random   K49portmap  K55hotplug      K99reboot
K10gpm      K35alsa      K48nfs      K49xinetd   K60mountfs
K20chronyc  K40sysklogd  K48samba    K50pcmcia   K70swap

./rcsysinit.d:
S10swap       S30checkfs  S50cleanfs  S70loadkeys
S20mountproc  S40mountfs  S60hotplug  S80localnet
tony at aurora 19:13:56:/etc/rc.d

HTH
--
Tony