ping: unknown protocl icmp

Rainer Peter Feller rainer at maren.desy.de
Thu Nov 27 23:56:12 PST 2003

On Fri, 28 Nov 2003, sha ying wrote:

>    hello,
>
>    I have installed lfs-5.0,  " ping " is ok.
>
>   then i deleted some files to save space. and found :
>   when run "ping", show error message:
>
>    " ping: unknown protocol icmp
>      can not init ping : success "
>
>   I have install "inet-utils" "net-tools" package again,
>   and recover  " /bin "   "/sbin" "/etc/services" , but it does not work.
>
>    I must delete some files in other places , what should i do ?
>
>    thanks in advance,
>
>    by the way, sorry for send the question to the wrong maillist for the last
> time.
>
>     sha. ying.

thehe ....
you might have "accidently" deleted your /etc/protocols
here is my ...
---
#
# protocols     This file describes the various protocols that are
#               available from the TCP/IP subsystem.  It should be
#               consulted instead of using the numbers in the ARPA
#               include files, or, worse, just guessing them.
#

ip      0       IP      # internet protocol, pseudo protocol number
icmp    1       ICMP    # internet control message protocol
igmp    2       IGMP    # internet group multicast protocol
ggp     3       GGP     # gateway-gateway protocol
tcp     6       TCP     # transmission control protocol
pup     12      PUP     # PARC universal packet protocol
udp     17      UDP     # user datagram protocol
idp     22      IDP     # WhatsThis?
raw     255     RAW     # RAW IP interface

# End.
---

CUH Rainer Peter Feller