modprobe error when trying to load some block-major-*

Kevin Alm kevinalm at shenessex.heartland.net
Tue Nov 25 16:42:51 PST 2003

andri at fask.org wrote:

>Hi
>I've successfully built my LFS 5 system and I'm starting to customize it
>but it's one thing that really annaoys me an that are three modprobe error
>I get at boot time.
>modprobe: Can't locate module block-major-33
>modprobe: Can't locate module block-major-34
>modprobe: Can't locate module block-major-8
>How on earth do I get rid of those? They don't fuck up my system I know
>but like I said, they're pretty annoying.
>
>Best Regards
>Andri Mar Jónsson

Hi Andri,
All three have to do with scsi. They are probably generated by lines in
/etc/modules.conf but without knowing more about your hardware it's hard
to know whether you can simply remove the lines or if they are real
failures. (Something wrong in your kernel config perhaps) For more info
have a look in /usr/src/linux-2.4.22/Documentation/devices.txt. The
results of dmesg and lspci commands may be useful too. Kevin