System has no more ptys; GCC-3.3.1, Pass 2

Matthew Burgess matthew at linuxfromscratch.org
Tue Nov 25 14:09:22 PST 2003

On Tue, 25 Nov 2003 16:01:12 -0600
"Rob D." <user at example.net> wrote:

> Erik Postma wrote:
>
> > On Sun, 23 Nov 2003 22:25:17 -0600, "Rob D." <user at example.net>
> > wrote:
> >
> >>"The system has no more ptys. Ask your system administrator to
> >> create more."
> >>
> > Just a shot in the dark: my /dev/pts directory has these
> > permissions:
> >
> > ls -ld /dev/pts
> > drwxr-xr-x   2 root     root            0 Nov 25 10:53 /dev/pts
> >
> > Does yours have the same?
>
> Yes.  I expect that the problem is permissions related, though.  This
> is the first time I've bumped into this problem.  I probably need to
> do more googling. :)

Check the archives for my horrific experiences when working with Knoppix
during which I experienced exactly the same symptoms (i.e. root could
access PTYs fine, but normal users couldn't).  It won't help any as I
never found a solution either (apart from upgrading Knoppix) although at
least you can take comfort in knowing that someone else "feels your
pain" :)

Regards,

Matt.