More glibc's

Richard A Downing FBCS geek109 at hotmail.com
Tue Nov 25 10:10:40 PST 2003

On Tue, 25 Nov 2003 15:39:29 -0200
renato.killer at ig.com.br wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I have a LFS system working Ok.
>
> Some days ago I was trying to run some pre-compiled programs
> (closed source, so I can't recompile) on my LFS and it didn't
> work.
>
> I figured out that it may be because it was compiled for
> glibc-2.1, so I want to ask you if is possible to use glibc-2.3
> as default, but have glibc-2.2 and glibc-2.1 installed at the
> same time too, so I could run old applications.

Renato,

Could you tell us what actually broke?  Try running:

ldd <your-precompiled-program>

which will tell you what libraries it expects.  Sometimes all
that is needed is a single extra library, or maybe just a symlink
to point to one you already have.

Without some more info it's hard to advise you. It's probably not
possible to have more than a single glibc on a system, but you
may be able to fool the software into thinking you did.

--
Cheers, Richard

Richard A Downing FBCS

Anyone  sending  unwanted  advertising   e-mail
to this address will be charged $25 for network
traffic and computing time.   By  extracting my
address from  this  message or its  header, you
agree to these terms.