chroot, ch6

Erik Postma epostma at nl.tue.win
Tue Nov 25 01:12:26 PST 2003

On Tue, 25 Nov 2003 02:16:24 -0200, michael <michael8110 at terra.com.br>
wrote:
> thank you,allard and durk.. no,durk,the env binary is sitting there,what
> happens is that for some mysterious reason the /mnt/lfs directory is
> invisible to chroot,so it goes straight on to the next thing it
> finds,and that's /tools/bin/env ,which is a binary,so can't be chrooted
> into anyway.Allard,i'm in this for educational purposes,and so far i've
> reaped hansomely-so after my first successful try,i rm-rf-ed everything
> and started over,this time not as a zombie,but trying to understand as
> much as possible,and here i am stuck in this chroot thing again..i don't
> think it's what you suggested,since the host's bash  is also 2.05..
> what's unnerving about it is that i've been there and got out,and now,no
> way,i spent the better part of the weekend trying everything i could
> think of,googling a lot,to no avail..today i erased tools and redid
> everything but the same happened again.If i try simply chrooting into
> /mnt/lfs i'm informed there's no /bin/bash and if into /mnt/lfs/tools
> ,then it pukes out that libncurses.so.5 can't be opened ,now,isn't this
> related to dynamic loading?Thank you and please let me know if you can
> think of something ,must be a tiny detail..

It seems you missed the possibly most useful reply to your previous post:
the one by Matt Burgess, who directed you to the FAQ.
(http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/lfs/faq.html#any-no-such-file)

There, it says you may have forgotten to apply the specs patch. You can
check this by issuing

ldd $LFS/tools/bin/env

On my machine, the answer is

        libc.so.6 => /tools/lib/libc.so.6 (0x40016000)
        /tools/lib/ld-linux.so.2 => /tools/lib/ld-linux.so.2 (0x40000000)

The important part is the /tools/ part (3x).

--
Erik Postma (Email: reverse the order of nl, tue and win.)