static linking (more)

Tushar Teredesai linux_from_scratch at yahoo.com
Mon Nov 24 08:07:11 PST 2003

michael wrote:

>ld is removed and

ld is not removed, it was installed to /tools/bin/ld. Only the source
directory is cleaned and ld is rebuilt (but not yet installed).

>rebuilt,statically again (make -C ld LD_FLAGS="-all-static"
>LIB_PATH=/tools/lib") ,so now we have a static linker ld rebuilt with the new
>binutil's libraries ,but it will still need the host's ld to run,since it has
>been built statically!!

No, the host's ld is not needed to run the newly installed ld. All
libraries have been statically linked into the current ld installed in
Binutils-Pass1. So the ld we installed can run independently of the
host. Also, note that the new ld we compiled with the above command is
not yet installed. It is still in the binutils-build/ld directory.

--
Tushar Teredesai
  mailto:tushar at linuxfromscratch.org
  http://linuxfromscratch.org/~tushar