System has no more ptys; GCC-3.3.1, Pass 2

Rob D. user at example.net
Sun Nov 23 20:25:17 PST 2003

I'm currently working through the LFS-5.0 book using an LFS-4.0 system
as the host.  I'm working on GCC-3.3.1, pass 2.  I got the error message
it lists in the book, "The system has no more ptys.  Ask your system
administrator to create more."  The book suggests that my host
distribution isn't properly set up for PTY operation, and I'm not
suprised of this because it was one of the things I didn't really
understand when I did the LFS-4.0 book.

Specifically, the error message I get for executing
/expect -c "spawn ls/ is "The system has no more ptys.  Ask your system
administrator to create more."  If I execute this as root, it works just
fine, though.  I've done some googling, but couldn't find any definitive
solutions to the problem.  The book suggests looking through the wiki,
but I didn't find any answers there, either.

I've got devpts mounted on /dev/pts and the kernel has devpts compiled
in.  Can anyone offer any insights into the problem?  Any help at all
would be appreciated.

All apologies if this isn't the correct newsgroup to post this problem to.