Starting next LFS build.

Tom Scott telecomtom at vedatel.com
Sun Nov 23 15:16:08 PST 2003

Matthew Burgess wrote:
> On Sun, 23 Nov 2003 14:51:03 -0500
> weasel <weasel at beyondnormal.org> wrote:
>

>>Dale Weber wrote:
>>
>>>	Greets,
>>>
>>>	This has got to be one of the best ways to learn about Linux and
>>>	how it is
>>>setup and built.  Has anyone considered trying to make a
>>>distribution based on an LFS/BLFS build?   Maybe something along the
>>>lines of the way Slackware is put together (very source code
>>>friendly), without package management (as in no RPM or DEB).
>>>
>>>	8-Dale
>>
>>I believe Gentoo is based on LFS.  Maybe someone on this list that
>>knows for sure can confirm this.
>

> I don't think it is actually.  Yoper (http://www.yoper.com/) is though.

The "official Yoper FAQ" puts Gentoo and LFS on one extreme ("guru-only") and
"Linux distros used by businesses or home users" on the other:

<quote>
There is still plenty of room in a market for another OS which is dominated by
non-unix OS's. Yoper fills the gap between the guru-only Gentoo or Linux from
scratch OS's, and Linux distros used by businesses or home users, that still
want the best possible desktop. For businesses we can adapt Yoper for your
organization so that you get exactly what you want.
</quote>

So I guess LFS is not really Yoper although it might have share some features.

-- Tt