An idea for a software build system..

Dale Weber lfs-support at thedynaplex.net
Sun Nov 23 11:14:58 PST 2003

	Greetings,

	I have a partially automated software build system written in Python I
created for FreeBSD.  I am going to see if this can somehow be adapted to
work for LFS, in place of BLFS, since most packages seem to use just the
standard build sequence - seems like it should be doable.

	I can pull all the dependency information I need from the FreeBSD ports
collection, which I already have Python code written and tested for.  I am at
the state with this code that all I have to do is write the code to put the
dependency information into some sort of database format the build system can
use.

	After I have the initial dependency information, it can be updated as needed
and would not be dependent on the FreeBSD ports collection.  I can just have
a separate little command that runs for any package that requires changes in
the build, and use environment variables to allow changes for installation
prefixes, etc.  There are already standard variables usable for changes in
compile and link options.

	This may be a simplistic view of things for now, but I think it's a workable
project.  I've been itching to get back into programming for awhile now. :)

	8-Dale
--
The Dynaplex Network - http://www.thedynaplex.net
Charter Member of The Center for Intelligent Quoting.