Issues with ld: "bootstrap with --static" rearing its ugly head

Erik Postma epostma at nl.tue.win
Sat Nov 22 13:36:52 PST 2003

> > Hi,
> >
> > I'd just like to say I did start over, using the --disable-nls flag in
> > chapter 5 (not in 6) and it's working fine now. Greg, if you'd like to
> > have a .tar.bz2 from me too (in case you can't find it from Stephen's
> > stuff alone), I'll gladly prepare it but I don't have time for it now.
> > Gimme a week or so. I'm adding some specs of my host system for
> > Stephen to compare to his. If many things are the same it might give a
> > hint. I'm not at my machine right now, but am fairly confident this is
> > correct.

I am now. Here's a bit more detail.

> > Kernel:    2.4.21
> > GCC:       2.95.2
> > GlibC:     2.1.3
> > Processor: Athlon 1200
Make that 1100. Couldn't imagine how it could affect stuff though.
> > Chipset:   VIA something
That's VIA KT133, like Stephen's. Mainboard is an MSI K7T Pro2.

This is what gcc -v says:

 Reading specs from /usr/lib/gcc-lib/i486-suse-linux/2.95.2/specs
 gcc version 2.95.2 19991024 (release)

This is what /lib/libc.so.6 says:

 GNU C Library stable release version 2.1.3, by Roland McGrath et al.
 Copyright (C) 1992, 93, 94, 95, 96, 97, 98, 99 Free Software Foundation,
 Inc. This is free software; see the source for copying conditions.
 PARTICULAR PURPOSE.
 Compiled by GNU CC version 2.95.2 19991024 (release).
 Compiled on a Linux 2.2.16 system on 2000-08-15.
 Available extensions:
         GNU libio by Per Bothner
         crypt add-on version 2.1 by Michael Glad and others
         linuxthreads-0.8 by Xavier Leroy
         NoVersion patch for broken glibc 2.0 binaries
         BIND-4.9.7-REL
         NIS(YP)/NIS+ NSS modules 0.19 by Thorsten Kukuk
         NSS V1 modules 2.0.2 by Thorsten Kukuk
         libthread_db work sponsored by Alpha Processor Inc
 Report bugs using the `glibcbug' script to <bugs at gnu.org>.

Output of ld -v:

 GNU ld version 2.9.5 (with BFD 2.9.5.0.24)

--
Erik Postma (Email: reverse the order of nl, tue and win.)