Issues with ld: "bootstrap with --static" rearing its ugly head

Erik Postma epostma at nl.tue.win
Fri Nov 21 01:49:21 PST 2003

> > No. What needs to happen is for some bright individual to sit down and
> > figure out the problem, at its cause. Those of us maintaining the
> > toolchain sections of the book cannot reproduce the problem and
> > therefore do not fully understand the problem.
> >
> > --disable-nls is NOT the solution, it's a workaround of the real
> > problem.
> >
> > Are you that bright individual? Or are you willing to help? If so,
> > after the binutils pass 2 run of configure, please issue a "make
> > configure-host". Then before running "make", tar up and bzip the whole
> > binutils-build dir and mail it to me. Sending a log of the whole run
> > of "configure" and "make configure-host" would be beneficial too.
>
> Okay.
>
> I was ready to pack it in and install Gentoo (as I mentioned, I need
> this machine for work) but as LFS has been so great in the past and as I
> have benefitted so much from the hard work of others, I can do my part.
>
> I finally had to start over with a clean partition -- the installation
> was too munged. It will take me a while to get back to that point. I'll
> see if I can have something tonight.
>
> -Stephen-

Hi,

I'd just like to say I did start over, using the --disable-nls flag in
chapter 5 (not in 6) and it's working fine now. Greg, if you'd like to
have a .tar.bz2 from me too (in case you can't find it from Stephen's
stuff alone), I'll gladly prepare it but I don't have time for it now.
Gimme a week or so. I'm adding some specs of my host system for Stephen to
compare to his. If many things are the same it might give a hint. I'm not
at my machine right now, but am fairly confident this is correct.

Kernel:    2.4.21
GCC:       2.95.2
GlibC:     2.1.3
Processor: Athlon 1200
Chipset:   VIA something.

Will post more extensive list some other time.

--
Erik Postma (Email: reverse the order of nl, tue and win.)