Issues with ld: "bootstrap with --static" rearing its ugly head

Greg Schafer gschafer at zip.com.au
Thu Nov 20 15:44:08 PST 2003

On Thu, Nov 20, 2003 at 02:57:29PM -0700, Stephen Bosch wrote:
> A few people have had this problem. Perhaps a note about the
> --disable-nls should be added to LFS 5.0? Erik is also right -- that's a
> bit of a kludge.

No. What needs to happen is for some bright individual to sit down and
figure out the problem, at its cause. Those of us maintaining the toolchain
sections of the book cannot reproduce the problem and therefore do not fully
understand the problem.

--disable-nls is NOT the solution, it's a workaround of the real problem.

Are you that bright individual? Or are you willing to help? If so, after the
binutils pass 2 run of configure, please issue a "make configure-host". Then
before running "make", tar up and bzip the whole binutils-build dir and
mail it to me. Sending a log of the whole run of "configure" and "make
configure-host" would be beneficial too.