Issues with ld: "bootstrap with --static" rearing its ugly head

Stephen Bosch manager at vodacomm.ca
Thu Nov 20 14:08:09 PST 2003

Stephen Bosch wrote:
> This is brilliant. I am encountering exactly the same problem building
> LFS 5.0 from Slackware 8.1:
>
> Erik Postma wrote:
>
>> Hi all,
>>
>> Working on LFS 5.0 from SuSE 7.0. I had the following issues:
>

>> 2) During make check of binutils pass 2 in chap. 5, one test failed
>> unexpectedly:
>>  ld/testsuite/ld-bootstrap/bootstrap.exp "bootstrap with --static"
>>
>> Now I wish I had read more carefully the text saying "There should be no
>> unexpected fails here." Having grown bold by the "solution" to the
>> previous failure I decided I'd just continue again. I now realise that
>> was _not_ a wise thing.
>

> I don't recall any such failure, but if I am having the next thing
> happen, then it must have failed.
>
>> 3) In chapter 6 section Re-adjusting the toolchain I ran (just like the
>> book says) make -C ld install in the binutils-build directory, then
>> removed the binutils-build directory, and subsequently applied the sed
>> script. Then the 'make a trivial C program, compile it and readelf it'
>> test. This failed horribly:
>>
>> # gcc dummy.c
>> /tools/lib/gcc-lib/i686-pc-linux-gnu/3.3.1/../../../../i686-pc-linux-gnu/
>> bin/ld: error while loading shared libraries: libbfd-2.14.so: cannot open
>> shared object file: No such file or directory collect2: ld returned 127
>> exit status
>>
>> After some backtracking, ld turned out to be
>> the problem:
>>
>> # ldd /tools/bin/ld
>>         libbfd-2.14.so => not found
>>         libc.so.6 => /tools/lib/libc.so.6 (0x40017000)
>>         /tools/lib/ld-linux.so.2 => /tools/lib/ld-linux.so.2 (0x40000000)
>

> This is *exactly* what I get. As it has taken me three days to get this
> far, I am not relishing the prospect of starting over, especially as I
> need this machine for work.
>
> A few people have had this problem. Perhaps a note about the
> --disable-nls should be added to LFS 5.0? Erik is also right -- that's a
> bit of a kludge.
>
> Erik, I presume you started over?
>
> I will try again with LFS 5.0 making sure to use --disable-nls with
> binutils pass 2, but if it does this again I'm going back to 4.1.

Additional note: I tried to do the fill-in steps suggested by Erik (do
binutils pass1, gcc, binutils pass 2, etc), but the thing is totally
fubared now. During configure, I get:

checking build system type... i686-pc-linux-gnuoldld
/tools/lib/gcc-lib/i686-pc-linux-gnu/3.3.1/../../../../i686-pc-linux-gnu/bin/ld:
  error while loading shared libraries: libbfd-2.14.so: cannot open
collect2: ld returned 127 exit status
*** The command 'gcc -o conftest -g -O2   conftest.c' failed.
*** You must set the environment variable CC to a working compiler.

-Stephen-