glibc-2.3.2 (Chapter 5) is confused by earlier errors

Greg Schafer gschafer at zip.com.au
Wed Nov 19 14:18:03 PST 2003

On Wed, Nov 19, 2003 at 06:51:12AM +0000, Brett wrote:
> I'm afraid this is turning into a bit of a saga...

Indeed :-(

> > From this, I think we can deduce that your problem is related to
> > the "echo" command or perhaps your shell. Hold on...   Yep,
> > confirmed. I just reproduced the problem in my copy of the "ash"
> > shell.
> >
> > What is your "/bin/sh" symlink pointing to? What is your running
> > shell at the time of building glibc?
> >
> > Perhaps, changing your /bin/sh symlink to point to bash should do
> > the trick. Please let us know if it solves the problem.
>
> My symlink already pointed to bash (I don't even have any other shells
> installed). I checked the echo command and it was behaving very oddly.
> I guessed that this might be due to my fiddling aound with bash (I
> recompiled it and upgraded it to 2.05b from the Slackware 8.1's 2.05a.
> After reinstalling the sh-utils and bash packages from Slackware I
> re-built everything from binutils onwards. I got rid of the problem
> with version-info.h but now get this:

Ok good. Glad you got past the echo problem at least.

> --------------------
>
> mkdir /home/lfs/glibc-build/gnu
> mkdir /home/lfs/glibc-build/csu
> In file included from ../include/pthread.h:1,
>                  from
> ../linuxthreads/sysdeps/pthread/bits/libc-lock.h:23,
>                  from ../sysdeps/generic/ldsodefs.h:38,
>                  from ../sysdeps/unix/sysv/linux/ldsodefs.h:25,
>                  from ../sysdeps/unix/sysv/linux/init-first.c:30:
> ../linuxthreads/sysdeps/pthread/pthread.h:163: error: parse error
>     before "__thread"

This still looks suspiciously like the problem that happens when one applies the
nofixincludes patch in pass 1 erroneously. You previously said you haven't
done this so I admit to being stumped.

You shouldn't be having these problems. Something is fishy here. Please
provide the output of when logged in as the lfs user:

 1) set

 2) type -p gcc

 3) gcc -v

 4) ls -l /tools/lib/gcc-lib/*/*/include