How to backup LFS to Bootable CD

lanas lanas at t-online.de
Wed Nov 19 11:34:15 PST 2003

On Wed, 19 Nov 2003 17:58:14 +0700
Antony Chang <yungchen at indosat.net.id> wrote:

> Hi, How can I backup LFS to a bootable CD ? so if I screwed up my
> system, I could just restore them back to a partition.

It's actually very easy to make a bootable CD.  The trick is to make an
initrd ram disk file that will boot all of a LFS system (that is, /bin
/sbin and /lib) in ram.  It requires 15 Mb (LFS 4.0) out of a 16 Mb ram
disk. Once you have LFS booted and running from ram, you can mount the
rest of your CD with all the rest of your LFS system (mainly, /usr) and
you can reformat your hard disk(s) and re-install everything in a snap
as it was compiled ans saved before, or have it recompiled fresh.  Of
course I'm talking here of a LFS 4.0 without BLFS.  I didn't get around
at booting X from ram yet.

By the way, it's also very easy to boot from a USB stick (256 Mb and
more) if the system board supports it.

Cheers,

Alain