Binutils - Pass 2

Darío Bravo darbravo at republica.com.ar
Wed Nov 19 10:19:54 PST 2003

I'm sure I did it the first time, but then I restarted my linux box.... I was
wondering if that's the cause of all of the mess... I don't know... As a
prevention, today I will test the whole thing by compiling a dummy.c file and
looking if it compiled against the right library....

weasel ha escrito:

> Darío Bravo wrote:
> > Hello to everyone! I had a problem with the 'make check' command for the
> > second stage of binutils install. The command presented something like:
> >
> > ./test-demangle <
> > ../../../binutils-2.14/libiberty/testsuite/demangle-expected
> > ./test-demangle: /lib/libc.so.6: version `GLIBC_2.3' not found (required
> > by ./test-demangle)
> > make[3]: *** [check-cplus-dem] Error 1
> > make[3]: Leaving directory
> > `/mnt/lfs/packages/binutils-build/libiberty/testsuite'
> > make[2]: *** [check-subdir] Error 2
> > make[2]: Leaving directory `/mnt/lfs/packages/binutils-build/libiberty'
> > make[1]: *** [check-libiberty] Error 2
> > make[1]: Leaving directory `/mnt/lfs/packages/binutils-build'
> > make: *** [check] Error 2
> >

> > And in a previous message from the LFS Support mailing list, I confirmed
> > what I was suspecting: the second line should be pointing to
> > /tools/lib/libc.so.6 instead of /lib/libc.so.6
> > What I did was a re-installation of Glibc and it worked just fine. But,
> > I think that making just the part under the title of "Locking in Glibc"
> > would be enough. What this menas was that the files was linking to the
> > libraries on the host system instead of the fresh installed ones.
> > If somebody have an error like this one, try first to do the "Locking in
> > Glibc", because if this is it, you will save a lot of time.
> >

> > goodbye and, please, forgive my bad english!
> >
> > --
> >

> > Darío Bravo
> >

> Thanks for the note...this seems to be the cause of more frusteration
> than any other part of the LFS book.  I'm not sure why so many people
> get past the "Locking in" of Glibc section without it being done
> properly.   The book maintainers have done lots to make sure this step
> is fool-proof by adding test, and checks to it.  Maybe a the word
> CAUTION could be added to the top of that page in 72 point flashing red
> text? ;)  I know i've done this several times myself, and always find
> myself wondering after hours of "Why doesn't this work?!" says to myself
> "You idiot, you did it again!" and/or "DOH!".  :D
>
> Nick
>
> --

Darío Bravo
Sistemas
La República Cía. Arg. de Seguros Grales. S.A.
4318-8700 int. 235
http://www.republica.com.ar

Este mensaje es confidencial. Puede contener informacion amparada
por el secreto profesional. Si usted ha recibido este e-mail por error,
por favor comuniquenoslo inmediatamente via e-mail y tenga la
amabilidad de eliminarlo de su sistema; no debera copiar el mensaje
ni divulgar su contenido a ninguna persona. Muchas gracias.

This message is confidential. It may also contain information that is
privileged or otherwise legally exempt from disclosure. If you have
received it by mistake please let us know by e-mail immediately and
delete it from your system; you should also not copy the message nor
disclose its contents to anyone. Many thanks.