Binutils - Pass 2

weasel weasel at beyondnormal.org
Tue Nov 18 16:19:43 PST 2003

Darío Bravo wrote:
> Hello to everyone! I had a problem with the 'make check' command for the
> second stage of binutils install. The command presented something like:
>
> ./test-demangle <
> ../../../binutils-2.14/libiberty/testsuite/demangle-expected
> ./test-demangle: /lib/libc.so.6: version `GLIBC_2.3' not found (required
> by ./test-demangle)
> make[3]: *** [check-cplus-dem] Error 1
> make[3]: Leaving directory
> `/mnt/lfs/packages/binutils-build/libiberty/testsuite'
> make[2]: *** [check-subdir] Error 2
> make[2]: Leaving directory `/mnt/lfs/packages/binutils-build/libiberty'
> make[1]: *** [check-libiberty] Error 2
> make[1]: Leaving directory `/mnt/lfs/packages/binutils-build'
> make: *** [check] Error 2
>

> And in a previous message from the LFS Support mailing list, I confirmed
> what I was suspecting: the second line should be pointing to
> /tools/lib/libc.so.6 instead of /lib/libc.so.6
> What I did was a re-installation of Glibc and it worked just fine. But,
> I think that making just the part under the title of "Locking in Glibc"
> would be enough. What this menas was that the files was linking to the
> libraries on the host system instead of the fresh installed ones.
> If somebody have an error like this one, try first to do the "Locking in
> Glibc", because if this is it, you will save a lot of time.
>

> goodbye and, please, forgive my bad english!
>
> --
>

> Darío Bravo

Thanks for the note...this seems to be the cause of more frusteration
than any other part of the LFS book.  I'm not sure why so many people
get past the "Locking in" of Glibc section without it being done
properly.   The book maintainers have done lots to make sure this step
is fool-proof by adding test, and checks to it.  Maybe a the word
CAUTION could be added to the top of that page in 72 point flashing red
text? ;)  I know i've done this several times myself, and always find
myself wondering after hours of "Why doesn't this work?!" says to myself
"You idiot, you did it again!" and/or "DOH!".  :D

Nick