I forgot to keep BINUTILS second stage

weasel weasel at beyondnormal.org
Mon Nov 17 21:59:28 PST 2003

llista wrote:
> Jeroen Coumans wrote:
>
>> Hi weasel. You said the following on 11/18/03 02:40:

>>> restarting doesnt teach you anything expect how to follow the book
>>> like a zombie.  Even though you can zip through it, and basicly copy
>>> and paste all the commands, it is still intended to be a guide and
>>> not a howto.  Try and fix or work with your mistakes teaches the
>>> proper way of doing things.  If you learn to correct you mistakes,
>>> soon you will be able to replace virtually any part of your system,
>>> with out ever having to start all over again.
>>>
>>> When you have 'screwed' something up in most cases it can be fixed
>>> and is generally not as hard as it seems.  It only seems difficult
>>> because you have never done it before.
>>

>> Of course, but you need to have experience and some groundwork
>> already. There's a difference in "following the book", which you
>> suggest, and "reading the book", which I suggest. And, if someone
>> isn't capable of debugging this it's better to restart so you're sure
>> you have a good system. This applies to most first-time LFS'ers, and
>> plenty of other people too. Let's be honest: the new build method is
>> anything _but_ simple and causes trouble even for long-time LFS'ers.
>> There's never any harm in re-reading the book; it will also show you
>> information you didn't understand previously, or maybe just forgot,
>> and is thus a very educational experience. Note that I suggest
>> *reading*, not following the book.
>>
> Thaks a lot for your informtaion..
>
> as you says, my knowledment in my fisrt installation is so far from
> yours, and there ara a lot of things that It ry to understand READING
> the book. But I think I'm gonna make a new full installation tring to
> understand better what i'm doing.
>
> I wish i could solve all my problems just findind and fixing them..  ;-)
>
> Because of i'm going to install everithing again...  What about to
> install LINUX VECTOR 4 as a main system??
> I've just get it and I think it's a good moment yo test it...
> It won't be a problem, will it?¿??

I did'nt mean to sound rude, so if I came off that way, I appologize.

Like I said before, starting all over again, should not be your first
option, but your last.  Take a minute to review what you have gotten
yourself into.  Then determine if you have the knowledge to correct the
problem.  If not consult various LFS support options. Lastly if all else
fails, start over.

Nick