I forgot to keep BINUTILS second stage

weasel weasel at beyondnormal.org
Mon Nov 17 21:55:12 PST 2003

Jeroen Coumans wrote:
> Hi weasel. You said the following on 11/18/03 02:40:
>
>> Jeroen Coumans wrote:

>>> When in doubt - restart from the beginning with a clean partition.
>>> From a practical point of view, in my experience, this is almost
>>> always faster then trying to figure out where you made the error. And
>>> from an educational point of view, you learn from making mistakes. So
>>> consider yourself lucky! (but always consult the FAQ in case of
>>> problems :-) )
>>> Have fun,
>>>

>> restarting doesnt teach you anything expect how to follow the book
>> like a zombie.  Even though you can zip through it, and basicly copy
>> and paste all the commands, it is still intended to be a guide and not
>> a howto.  Try and fix or work with your mistakes teaches the proper
>> way of doing things.  If you learn to correct you mistakes, soon you
>> will be able to replace virtually any part of your system, with out
>> ever having to start all over again.
>>
>> When you have 'screwed' something up in most cases it can be fixed and
>> is generally not as hard as it seems.  It only seems difficult because
>> you have never done it before.
>

> Of course, but you need to have experience and some groundwork already.
> There's a difference in "following the book", which you suggest, and
> "reading the book", which I suggest. And, if someone isn't capable of
> debugging this it's better to restart so you're sure you have a good
> system. This applies to most first-time LFS'ers, and plenty of other
> people too. Let's be honest: the new build method is anything _but_
> simple and causes trouble even for long-time LFS'ers. There's never any
> harm in re-reading the book; it will also show you information you
> didn't understand previously, or maybe just forgot, and is thus a very
> educational experience. Note that I suggest *reading*, not following the
> book.

I'm pretty sure that in my first response to this thread, I suggested
'reading the book'.  More specifically, I suggested 'reading' the
paragraph right below the command that the original poster said failed.

if you read my reply above you will see that I am _not_ suggesting
"following the book" [like a zombie] but infact denouncing it.  Basicly
everthing I said in my previous email boils down to this:  If you going
to blindly copy and paste from the book, then don't bother, just use a
distro.

I'm still not quite sure where in your response you suggested "reading
the book".  Starting over should never be your first option, it should
be your last.

Nick