I forgot to keep BINUTILS second stage

Jeroen Coumans jeroen at linuxfromscratch.org
Tue Nov 18 14:23:05 PST 2003

Hi weasel. You said the following on 11/18/03 02:40:
> Jeroen Coumans wrote:
>
>> Hi llista. You said the following on 11/18/03 18:52:
>>
>>> I have to reinstall everithig<????
>>>
>>> Can I rescue anything?¿?  so.. where I must re start my compilation
>>> from¿?¿??
>>

>> When in doubt - restart from the beginning with a clean partition.
>> From a practical point of view, in my experience, this is almost
>> always faster then trying to figure out where you made the error. And
>> from an educational point of view, you learn from making mistakes. So
>> consider yourself lucky! (but always consult the FAQ in case of
>> problems :-) )
>> Have fun,
>>

> restarting doesnt teach you anything expect how to follow the book like
> a zombie.  Even though you can zip through it, and basicly copy and
> paste all the commands, it is still intended to be a guide and not a
> howto.  Try and fix or work with your mistakes teaches the proper way of
> doing things.  If you learn to correct you mistakes, soon you will be
> able to replace virtually any part of your system, with out ever having
> to start all over again.
>
> When you have 'screwed' something up in most cases it can be fixed and
> is generally not as hard as it seems.  It only seems difficult because
> you have never done it before.

Of course, but you need to have experience and some groundwork already.
There's a difference in "following the book", which you suggest, and
"reading the book", which I suggest. And, if someone isn't capable of
debugging this it's better to restart so you're sure you have a good
system. This applies to most first-time LFS'ers, and plenty of other
people too. Let's be honest: the new build method is anything _but_
simple and causes trouble even for long-time LFS'ers. There's never any
harm in re-reading the book; it will also show you information you
didn't understand previously, or maybe just forgot, and is thus a very
educational experience. Note that I suggest *reading*, not following the
book.

FAQ and Website Maintainer
{faq,website}@linuxfromscratch.org
www.jeroencoumans.nl