glibc-2.3.2 (Chapter 5) is confused by earlier errors

Greg Schafer gschafer at zip.com.au
Tue Nov 18 02:59:10 PST 2003

On Tue, Nov 18, 2003 at 10:04:26AM +0000, Brett wrote:
> > 3. As per the "How to ask for help" section of the book, you haven't
> > posted enough information, especially the host distro details.
>
> My host system is sort-of Slackware 8.1 - it started out as this but I'm afraid I've fiddled with it a lot, including upgrading GCC to 3.3.2 and upgrading the kernel to 2.4.22

Ok, that's a bad sign :-(

> > 4. The problematic file appears to be
> >    "/home/lfs/glibc-build/csu/version-info.h". Please post the
> >    contents of that file so we can see what's up with it.
>
> This is version-info.h after going through the book as instructed:
>
> ----------
>
> "Compiled on a Linux 2.4.22 system on 2003-11-18.
> "
> "Available extensions:
> "
> "	GNU libio by Per Bothner\n"
> "	crypt add-on version 2.1 by Michael Glad and others\n"
> "	linuxthreads-0.9 by Xavier Leroy\n"
> "	BIND-8.2.3-T5B\n"
> "	libthread_db work sponsored by Alpha Processor Inc\n"
> "	NIS(YP)/NIS+ NSS modules 0.19 by Thorsten Kukuk\n"
>
> ----------
>
> Hope this is enough info, thanks for your time,

Ok, the error messages from gcc were spot on. That file is indeed broken.
This is how the first 2 lines are meant to look:

"Compiled on a Linux 2.4.22 system on 2003-11-16.\n"
"Available extensions:\n"

Notice the subtle difference? This file is a generated file. You can see how
it gets generated by looking near the end of the Makefile in the csu
directory.  The bits of code responsible are:

  echo "\"Compiled on a $$os $$version system" \
       "on `date +%Y-%m-%d`.\\n\"" ;; \

and

  echo "\"Available extensions:\\n\"";                 \

>From this, I think we can deduce that your problem is related to the "echo"
command or perhaps your shell. Hold on...   Yep, confirmed. I just
reproduced the problem in my copy of the "ash" shell.

What is your "/bin/sh" symlink pointing to? What is your running shell at
the time of building glibc?

Perhaps, changing your /bin/sh symlink to point to bash should do the trick.
Please let us know if it solves the problem.