glibc ,ch6 complains gcc is too old

michael michael8110 at terra.com.br
Sun Nov 16 14:36:58 PST 2003

root:/sources/glibc-build# ../glibc-2.3.2/configure --prefix=/usr \
>     --disable-profile --enable-add-ons \
>     --libexecdir=/usr/bin --with-headers=/usr/include
checking sysdep dirs... sysdeps/i386/elf
linuxthreads/sysdeps/unix/sysv/linux/i386
linuxthreads/sysdeps/unix/sysv/linux linuxthreads/sysdeps/pthread
sysdeps/pthread linuxthreads/sysdeps/unix/sysv linuxthreads/sysdeps/unix
linuxthreads/sysdeps/i386/i686 linuxthreads/sysdeps/i386
sysdeps/unix/sysv/linux/i386 sysdeps/unix/sysv/linux sysdeps/gnu
sysdeps/unix/common sysdeps/unix/mman sysdeps/unix/inet
sysdeps/unix/sysv/i386 sysdeps/unix/sysv sysdeps/unix/i386 sysdeps/unix
sysdeps/posix sysdeps/i386/i686/fpu sysdeps/i386/i686 sysdeps/i386/i486
sysdeps/i386/fpu sysdeps/i386 sysdeps/wordsize-32 sysdeps/ieee754/ldbl-96
sysdeps/ieee754/dbl-64 sysdeps/ieee754/flt-32 sysdeps/ieee754
sysdeps/generic/elf sysdeps/generic
checking for a BSD-compatible install... /tools/bin/install -c
checking whether ln -s works... yes
checking for pwd... /bin/pwd
checking for gcc... gcc
checking version of gcc... v. ?.??, bad
checking for gnumake... no
checking for gmake... no
checking for make... make
checking version of make... 3.80, ok
configure: error:
*** These critical programs are missing or too old: gcc
*** Check the INSTALL file for required versions.
root:/sources/glibc-build#
SORRY to throw all this awful stuff at you,but i wouldn't be accused of
sending too little output..about the previous problems with LFS,they
mysteriously disappeared as i applied my usual brute force method of erasing
and starting over--i'm plotting my progress with every new try,and if it
remains linear,i can reasonably expect to be out of this tunnel my
neurotic-obsessive-compulsive nature has trapped me in by march 2004,the
music helping,of course,although sheherazade for the final triumph is back on
the shelf.I guess the host becomes jealous as  the result of mounting
/mnt/lfs grows into visibility,maybe i should move it away into another hd
:-) Anyway,why on earth would glibc complain gcc is too old when the version
3.3.1 is newer than what is recommended in its install,one would wonder..can
i install glibc out of the chroot environment using the host?thank you
again,allard, for the musical tips,although the 6th is a bit too much of
oh-what-a beautiful-morning for me..