glibc-2.3.2 (Chapter 5) is confused by earlier errors

Greg Schafer gschafer at zip.com.au
Sun Nov 16 13:53:27 PST 2003

On Sun, Nov 16, 2003 at 12:29:39PM +0000, Brett wrote:
> On Sun, 16 Nov 2003 21:29:51 +1100
> Greg Schafer <gschafer at zip.com.au> wrote:
>

> > > ----------------
> > >
> > > mkdir /home/lfs/glibc-build/gnu
> > > mkdir /home/lfs/glibc-build/csu
> > > In file included from version.c:33:
> > > /home/lfs/glibc-build/csu/version-info.h:1:1: missing terminating "
> > >    character
> > > /home/lfs/glibc-build/csu/version-info.h:2:1: missing terminating "
> > >    character
> > > /home/lfs/glibc-build/csu/version-info.h:3:1: missing terminating "
> > >    character
> > > /home/lfs/glibc-build/csu/version-info.h:4:1: missing terminating "
> > >    character
> > > In file included from ../include/pthread.h:1,
> > >                  from
> > > ../linuxthreads/sysdeps/pthread/bits/libc-lock.h:23,
> > >                  from ../sysdeps/generic/ldsodefs.h:38,
> > >                  from ../sysdeps/unix/sysv/linux/ldsodefs.h:25,
> > >                  from ../sysdeps/unix/sysv/linux/init-first.c:30:
> > > ../linuxthreads/sysdeps/pthread/pthread.h:163: error: parse error
> > >    before "__thread"
> >
> > It looks like you erroneously applied the GCC "No-Fixincludes" patch in the
> > first pass of GCC when the book clearly states only apply it in the second
> > pass. In other words, you might have made a boo-boo. You're not very far in,
> > so best bet is wipe everything and start again from scratch.
> > --
>
> Greg,
>       I've checked how I built GCC and I didn't apply any patch to GCC before I built it. This is the script I used to build GCC, which I think is what the book requires:

1. If this is your first LFS, you should be sticking to the exact versions
   in the book.

2. You shouldn't be scripting your builds. Who knows what environmental
   variations you have introduced into the equation by doing this? Please go
   exactly by the book for now.

3. As per the "How to ask for help" section of the book, you haven't posted
   enough information, especially the host distro details.

4. The problematic file appears to be
   "/home/lfs/glibc-build/csu/version-info.h". Please post the contents of
   that file so we can see what's up with it.