unpacked sources and ln

S. Anthony Sequeira tony at sequeira.com
Sat Nov 15 13:40:51 PST 2003

On Sat, 15 Nov 2003 14:50:00 -0600, Kevin Alm penned:

> On Saturday 15 November 2003 12:05 pm, Richard A Downing FBCS wrote:
>> On Sat, 15 Nov 2003 11:54:22 -0600
>>
>> <liquid.ism at verizon.net> wrote:
[...]
>> The book is good on this - trust the book.
>>
>> (Jeroen, I've had to explain this twice this week.  Can we put something
>> in the FAQ? The other guy was a 20 year Unix vet!)
[...]
> That aspect of the ln command threw me too. Personally, I think
it's a bad
> idea as it breaks with the linux convention of defaulting to the pwd. It
> looks like you're creating a link a file in the current directory.
> Instead you're linking to a file in the target directory. Confusing.

It is NOT a bad idea.  Aren't you glad you have learnt something new?  I
have used Unix professionally and personally for many years too, and I did
a double take when I saw it. *But*, I was extremely pleased when I thought
about it and saw _why_ it worked.

Aren't you pleased?
--
Tony