perl-5.8.0-libc-3.patch

Erik Postma epostma at nl.tue.win
Sat Nov 15 11:46:23 PST 2003

On Sat, 15 Nov 2003 12:22:45 -0700, telecomtom at vedatel.com wrote:
> This patch was applied in chapter 5 when during the
> installation of perl-5.8.0: perl-5.8.0-libc-3.patch
>
> I noticed that it's not applied in chapter 6 (section 6.32,
> "Installing Perl-5.8.0"). Is there a simple explanation for
> that? Does it have something to do with the fact that
> the installation in chapter 5 was temporary?
>
> -- TIA, TT

Only indirectly. In chapter 5, the book says the reason for the patch is
changing some paths hardwired into the code. These are the paths to
the C library (aka glibc). In chapter 5, we want to
use the instance of glibc we just compiled, which happens to be located
at /tools/lib. In chapter 6, we want to use the version compiled in
chapter 6, which is located (in the chroot'ed environment) in the normal
place: at /lib. Since this is the place where perl expects it, we don't
need to apply the patch.

--
Erik Postma (Email: reverse the order of nl, tue and win.)