unpacked sources and ln

liquid.ism at verizon.net liquid.ism at verizon.net
Sat Nov 15 09:54:22 PST 2003

I've looked through the FAQ and I didnt see anything to help me there(I think).  I want to know if its ok to delete the unpacked sources after issuing the commands to install the package.  But sometimes I see command to create symlinks that "appear"(Im not completly sure)to link a file thats in the source/build directory.  If I delete that, then it would work right?  Heres an example...
In the first pass of installing GCC http://lfs.130th.net/lfs/view/stable/chapter05/gcc-pass1.html
the last command says
ln -sf gcc /tools/bin/cc
I dont know that much about symlinks but it appears the me that if I delete the gcc-3.3.1 and the gcc-build directory, then the symlink will cease to exist.

Can someone help me w/ this?