yet another tidbit

Allard Welter allard at nospam.nl
Sat Nov 15 04:39:09 PST 2003

On Saturday 15 November 2003 07:35, michael wrote:
> [root at localhost lfs]# echo 'main(){}' > dummy.c
> [root at localhost lfs]# gcc dummy.c
> [root at localhost lfs]# readelf -l a.out | grep ': /tools'
> [root at localhost lfs]# su - lfs
> -bash-2.05b$ echo 'main(){}' > dummy.c
> -bash-2.05b$ gcc dummy.c
> -bash-2.05b$ readelf -l a.out | grep ': /tools'
>       [Requesting program interpreter: /tools/lib/ld-linux.so.2]
>
> thank you all for the musical suggestions,jaws i really will save for the
> eventuality of a bitter ending..but look at the above composition ,isn't it
> strange to only get the relieving output as lfs,would it be because as lfs
> i'm using the toolchain and as root the host system? sorry if it's a stupid
> question,but it's dawning here and my cradle's about to fall,see you!

I take it you're compiling everything as user lfs, and hence have all
environment variables defined for this user (specifically, as lfs, the /tools
directory is listed first in your path - echo $PATH as lfs and root and see).
running as root, you're more than likely using the host systems compiler,
which is linked to /lib/ld-linux.so.2. Do the above again, but grep for
interpreter instead of tools, ie
$/# readelf -l a.out | grep 'interpreter'
For lfs you should see
       [Requesting program interpreter: /tools/lib/ld-linux.so.2]
and for root
       [Requesting program interpreter: /lib/ld-linux.so.2]

Might I suggest Beethoven's 6'th when you later awake.

Allard

--
The reply-to address is phony: please use
allard at quicknet.nl