More USB successes with LFS

Dale Weber lfs-support at thedynaplex.net
Fri Nov 14 11:04:02 PST 2003

	Greetings,

	I finally got around to building X-Windows, WindowMaker, and KDE 3.1.4 under
LFS, so have had a chance to test my USB solution.  So far as I have tested
my solution, it is working.  My USB trackball works fine in X, with both
windowing environments.

	I just have to finish polishing up my init script so it conforms to the way
the others work in showing the PASS/FAIL status and such.  I still need to
quiet the script down too, so it doesn't spew a lot of stuff we really don't
need to see at startup.

	I have not tested my USB keyboard with this setup yet, but I suspect it will
work without too much tweaking.  All I had to do to get my trackball working
was to make sure I had the proper devices made in /dev. I just copied the
devices from my RH setup, but that isn't a good solution.  I really need to
properly create those devices using mknod and a little script.

	All the needed modules are being loaded at system startup now. :D  Hmmm, I
guess I am going to have to write some documentation on this now. :)

	I haven't decided if I still want to in corporate my USB init code into the
main startup script or not, but right now I am thinking I will not do that.
What I have works, and it does conform to the SysV Init format, so it's a
reasonable solution.

	8-Dale
--
The Dynaplex Network - http://www.thedynaplex.net
Charter Member of The Center for Intelligent Quoting.