chapter 5 gettext-0.12.1 failures

Ray, TD Travis (8878) @ IS Travis.D.Ray at L-3com.com
Fri Nov 14 07:23:06 PST 2003

Hi.

	I'm having problems with ch5 gettext and I'm hoping one of you will
be
able to point out what I seem to have missed.  I'm not at my target system
right now so I apologize for the lack of an actual log.  I'll attempt to
recall from memory the best I can.

    The first error occurred while compiling 'gettext-tools/src/msginit.c'.
It was expecting to find 'localename.lo' at '../intl/localename.lo'
(that would be 'gettext-tools/intl/localename.lo' in the source tree).
So, I went hunting and found it at
'../../gettext-runtime/intl/localename.lo'
(that would be 'gettext-runtime/intl/localename.lo' in the source tree).

    I hacked the Makefile and changed the reference to get past that point,
soon after my lack of confidence in its overall success was validated.  The
next series of problems were essentially the same as above but the files
that
could not be found were libgnuintl.{h,la,so}.  Guess where they are at?
In a subdirectory of 'gettext-runtime' *not* 'gettext-tools'.  Another
oddity
concerning this series of failures is that they occurred while compiling the
sources in the 'tests' subdirectory.  I did not run 'make check'.  All
errors
occurred during 'make'.

    It appears to me that gettext is being misconfigured somehow, although I
cannot for the life of me figure out how.  I'm using the book instructions,
and I've verified that the environment is as specified in 'Setting up the
environment'.  I can prop it up enough to continue, but I hesitate to do
that.
What concerns me most is the fact that I've read of no-one else having these

difficulties on this list, so I'm inclined to believe I've screwed up
somewhere upstream.  Does anyone have a clue how or where?

Thanks!

BTW: Host distribution is slackware-9.0