LFS 5.0 chapter 6, removing linux-2.4.22 directory

Richard A Downing FBCS geek109 at hotmail.com
Fri Nov 14 04:16:45 PST 2003

On Thu, 13 Nov 2003 13:06:02 -0500
Tom Scott <telecomtom at vedatel.com> wrote:

> I just finished LFS 5.0 chapter 6, section 6.10 "Installing
> LInux-2.4.22 headers". I assume the same general rule applies
> here in chapter 6 as it did in chapter 5, namely, to remove the
> source directories when I'm finished with them, unless told
> otherwise.
>
> The reason I'm a little wary about removing the directory --
> other than my general paranoia about this exciting but rather
> daunting project -- is this sentence: "the Linux kernel source
> tree is often kept around for a long time". I assume that
> refers to the source tree after I've finished the whole LFS 5.0
> book, not an intermediate source directory that I happen to
> have unpacked during chapter 6.
>
> Unless I hear otherwise from someone on this list, i'm going to
> go ahead and remove the linux-2.4.22 directory now that i'm
> finished with it. If I need it again (like in chapter 8 to
> install the kernel) I can unpack the tar file at that time.
> Right?
>
> -- TT

Just to clarify this for the archives, Tom is asking about the
unpack of the kernel to install the headers, not the Chapter 8
compilation of the kernel.

The right answer, in my opinion, is that he can safely delete the
source tree unpacked for chapter 6, this is only used to install
the headers, but there is good mileage to be gained by keeping
the tree unpacked (and Compiled) in Chapter 8, or at least taking
a backup of.config, and putting it in a safe place.

-- Cheers, Richard

Richard A Downing FBCS

Anyone  sending  unwanted  advertising   e-mail
to this address will be charged $25 for network
traffic and computing time.   By  extracting my
address from  this  message or its  header, you
agree to these terms.